The Drawing Development Summer Programme
Designed for Public Programme students who want to progress their practise on an intensive structured course, this programme comprises three daytime courses from the Shoreditch Summer Term programme; unlimited access to daytime or evening drop-ins in the Summer Term, two tutorials and two mentoring sessions with our faculty of practicing artists; a group crit; and the Wednesday evening lecture series which will provide an art historical underpinning to the programme and dialogue with contemporary artists.
By drawing intensively and participating in a mixed curriculum of studio-based, out of house and drawing from art courses, along with in-depth tutorials, this course aims to really push our drawing forward and help us consider its role within our wider artistic practise and where to take it. This course would suit artists and designers wishing to develop the role of drawing in their practise; public programme students who are looking to take their drawing to the next level; students who are thinking about applying to The Drawing Year sometime in the future; or anyone who wants to improve and refresh their drawing over a sustained and concentrated period.
See what happens when you really push yourself….
This course is equivalent to:
180 hours course tuition plus unlimited drops-in.
4 hours of private one to one tutorials and mentoring sessions.
1 hour group crit.
8 hours art history lectures / contemporary artist talks.
How it works
1. Book your place and once you have booked (either online or by telephone) you will be invited to make your course selections once the programme is completed.
2. Curate your own programme:
- Choose three daytime courses from the Shoreditch Summer Term. We advise that you select at least one studio based course and would encourage you to curate a varied programme of courses covering the three main aspects of our curriculum: Drawing in the Studio, Drawing from Art, Drawing London. Places are offered first come first served basis so book early to avoid disappointment.
- You will automatically be added to the register for the Wednesday Evening Lecture Series, an evening programme of talks, lecture and in-conversations brought together by art critic/artist William Feaver, writer/artist Julian Bell and art historian/curator Dr Claudia Tobin. Contemporary artists, art historians, gallerists, curators and writers are invited to talk in an intimate studio environment with an opportunity for questions at the end. Along with students studying on The Drawing Development, the talks are attended by The Drawing Year, The Foundation Year and members of the Public. Recent speakers have included Maggi Hambling, Cornelia Parker, T.J. Clarke, Edmund de Waal, Ian Jenkins, Sir Nicholas Penny, Chris Orr and Michael Landy.
- In addition you can attend any drop-ins (daytime or evening) that run at Shoreditch or Oxford Street. This is unlimited access for the Summer Term and you will be issued a Drawing Development card which will give you free access. No need to book, just turn up on the day. Drop-ins run on Thursdays (Life Drawing: Human Anatomy), Saturdays (Life Drawing or Etching), Friday evening (Drawing from Film at Shoreditch, Drawing at the National Gallery).
3. Tutorials and Mentoring
- During weeks five and nine, you will receive one tutorial and one mentoring session, each lasting one hour, four sessions in total. These are one to one sessions with a member of faculty, all of whom are practising artists. You will be appointed a mentor, who will be the same person for both mentoring sessions and you will be invited to select a faculty member from a list of five tutors for your tutorials – they can be different on each session or the same, if you prefer. You will be invited to bring in your drawings as well as work from your wider artistic practice (if that is not drawing).
4. Group Crit
- At the end of the term students will be invited to participate in a group crit with other students studying on The Drawing Development. The crit will be led by a faculty member.
Please note that concessions are not available on this programme, a group booking discount has already been applied to the total fee.