Studio Technician, Foundation Year
Reports to: Foundation Year Programme Manager
Salary: £10.85 per hour
Location: Trinity Buoy Wharf, London, E14 (and other locations on an occasional basis as required)
Contract: Part-time Fixed-Term (17th May 2021 to 9th July 2021)
Hours: 8 hours per day, 3 days a week, Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, plus occasional weekends and extra days, typical hours of 8:30am-5:30pm, term time and some holiday work.
Overall job purpose
To deliver a high standard of technical support to the tutors, students and Programme Manager of the School’s Foundation Year Course. Delivering a high level of student satisfaction and for all students to benefit from the course the greatest extent possible.
You will be line managed by the Programme Manager.
We are seeking a technician who has a good understanding of technical support across: basic photography, printmaking, painting and sculpture workshops with a specialism in photography & digital media to provide additional support for students in this area.
· Working with the technician team, assist in the planning, set-up and hanging of the Foundation Year End of Year Exhibition.
· Undertaking Health and Safety checks, under the guidance of the Head Technician at stipulated intervals to ensure the safety of the students and staff at all times.
· Provide advice and guidance to students in their artistic practice and learning from a technical perspective, as appropriate.
· Maintain a high-level of awareness of students’ work and needs and, as a key member of staff, work with colleagues and self-employed tutors to ensure that the course provides the greatest support and benefit to students that can be achieved.
· Establish an appropriate studio culture amongst students as part of their artistic training and organise students to help with keep the studio in good order.
· Ensure studios are provided with sufficient materials and equipment for student use; set up studios for classes as required; leave the studios clean with all materials stored away when not in use.
· Order materials and equipment from approved suppliers and in accordance with agreed budgets; log purchases in accordance with agreed procedures.
· Ensure organised storage of materials and equipment; maintain effective security controls, including locking draws, cupboards and doors as required.
· Provide relevant help and advice to self-employed tutors and artist models, planning for their needs in a timely manner.
· Ensure that all activity is conducted in accordance with the School’s health & safety policy and generally accepted best practice.
· Undertake carpentry and other DIY works as required, including (but not limited to) the construction of shelves, plinths and partitions.
· Identify any need for maintenance / repairs and resolve as required
Essential Knowledge and Skills
· Knowledge of the operational requirements of a busy teaching studio and relevant health & safety requirements
· Experience of a wide range of fine art practice and materials, including drawing, painting and sculpture
· Carpentry and DIY skills
Comfortable with use of standard PC/Mac software (inc. Excel, Word and Outlook), audio-visual systems
· Ability to communicate effectively with self-employed tutors and students (aged 18-20).
· A team player
· Enthusiasm, willingness and flexibility to get involved with a range of tasks
· Demonstrated ability to maintain a professional and approachable attitude, even in times of heavy workloads
Desirable Knowledge and Skills
· Demonstrated pro-activity in resolving issues
· Maintaining your personal artistic practice
This role involves a significant amount of manual handling
To apply: Submit CV & covering letter to email@example.com
Closing date for applications: Midnight on 6th May
Interviews: We will start the interviews before the deadline if we see candidates of interest
Start date: As soon as possible.
Due to the high volume of applications received, if you have not heard from us within 7 days of the closing date for applications, your application has not been successful. Thank you for your interest in the Royal Drawing School.