Reporting to: Senior Programme Manager, The Drawing Year
Direct Reports: Drawing Year Studio Technician, Public Programme Technician, Casual Staff Technicians, Print Room Technicians
Hours: Part Time, 34h worked over 4 days per week including occasional evenings and weekends
Location: Shoreditch and other locations as required
Salary: £30,000 per annum pro rata
Overall Job Purpose
Responsible for managing the School’s team of technicians and effective oversight of the studios and printing facilities at Charlotte Road, SPACE Studios in Hackney and West London studios. This is a significant management role that provides a vital service in the delivery of the School’s programmes. You will work closely with department heads and programme leaders to ensure education, enterprise and development teams are fully resourced to deliver on courses, exhibitions, and events, providing a high level of technical service. You will also be required to be hands-on with the setup and maintenance of studio and exhibition spaces.
Technical and Studio Management
· Provide the highest level of technical support to staff, tutors, students, models and visiting artists for programmes (excluding the Foundation Year) and exhibitions
· Work with the Head of Print to ensure an effective and safe printing facility
· Work with departments to develop and improve studio facilities and propose new systems for studio upkeep and management
· Ensure the effective management of the materials and technician budgets
· Provide feedback to programme managers on how our offering can be improved
· Work within the School’s Safeguarding Children and Adults policies, reporting any issues immediately if they arise
· Report and liaise with Buildings and Facilities Team regarding building repairs.
Technician Team Management
· Line manage a team of part-time technicians with responsibility for providing a fully resourced technical service for programmes (excluding the Foundation Year) and exhibitions.
· Develop a network of reliable adhoc/cover technicians to employ when required
· Create and manage a termly technician rota including submitting monthly reports to accounts for payment and arranging for cover, sometimes at late notice
· Carry out training for technicians including researching and booking specialist training
· Ensure up-to-date set-up instructions are available for cover technicians.
Health & Safety
· As a member of the Health & Safety Committee, work with the Buildings and Facilities teams to ensure the School’s Health & Safety policies are adhered for the Public Programme and the Drawing Year
· Create termly risk and COSSH assessments for every course and activity run by the Public Programme, Drawing Year, Development and Enterprise programmes, signing off with relevant tutors and ensuring files are up-to-date
· Ensure Health & Safety documents and signage are up-to-date and accessible and that accidents are reported immediately.
Materials and Studio Upkeep
· Manage the purchasing and ordering of materials and conduct regular stock takes
· Oversee the good upkeep and organisation of studios and storage areas, replacing and repairing studio equipment including general carpentry and repairs work
· Oversee the use of AV studio systems and ensure that the equipment is functioning correctly
· Provide safe, practical and inspiring environment for artists to work, ensuring studios are equipped and setup with sufficient materials for student use.
Exhibitions and Events
· A member of the exhibitions team, you will manage exhibitions hangs, liaising with external suppliers and agencies to ensure the safe delivery of artwork
· Frame when required and oversee the upkeep, maintenance and storage of frames
· Ensure materials are ordered and delivered for painting trips and tutor development weekends
· Ensure there is technical assistance at bespoke courses, painting trips or events both onsite and offsite
· Oversee the recording of lectures, open days and other events.
- Assist with promoting the School, including photographing classes for marketing purposes, ensuring technicians log consent from tutors, models and students
- Ensure bespoke courses offsite are photographed for marketing purposes.
This job description sets out the duties of the post as at present. Such duties may vary from time to time without changing the general character of the duties or the level of responsibilities entailed.
2-3 years’ experience as an art technician
BA/MA in Fine Arts or equivalent experience in the arts
- Knowledgeable about arts materials for drawing and painting, with a good understanding of the needs of art schools/artists
- Good spoken and written communication skills
- Team player with a warm and welcoming manner and a flexible approach to work
- Self-starter and proactive with excellent time management skills
- Ability to manage budgets
- Able to carry easels and other art equipment and experience of framing and hanging works
- Good knowledge of software e.g. Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Understanding of audio visual systems and willingness to learn
- Knowledge of Royal Drawing School’s programmes
- Line Management experience
- Having an artistic practice
- Carpentry experience